The senior fence was built in 1897 as a place for seniors to gather on the Green. It was originally located along the west side of the green, but moved in 2003. Seniors sat on the fence to socialize, carve canes and watch events on the Green. It was also the place where they gathered before or after events associated with Senior Week. In the early years it was reserved for use by seniors, though girls were tolerated. On the other hand, underclassmen so foolish as to sit on the fence, risked a dunking in the “terrible trough,” a watering trough on the South West corner of the green.